Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Family Life

Howdy Doody!! (although when I did spell check it suggested I use Dodgy – so Howdy Dodgy if you prefer) I've been forgetting to post my newsletter onto my blog since January!! Ooops.... my bad. Anyhows..... I went up to Jo’burg last weekend (and what a fun weekend it was!) to attend the Tim Holtz Scrapping Day at Emperor’s Palace. I’ve returned armed with a fabulous wealth of knowledge about inks, distressing, spritzing, using Grunge board etc which I’m dying to pass on to all of you (and not at the R1 7000.00 I paid to garner this knowledge!!). He is a marvelous teacher and has really encouraged me to think out of my staid little box. I’ve always sadly been one of those unimaginative people who usually uses stuff in its natural form and he’s made me think out the box and try and engage more in an “altered” way of scrapping. So look out for some fab layouts using distressing inks, masks, pearls etc. Talking about Jo’burg – boy did I salivate at all the stunning stock up there! I’ve come back with a great dent in my credit card and some really divine papers which I’m busy packing into kits as we speak: Stella Rose, Bo Bunny, Echo Park to name a few. (Is it just me or do you sometimes see a really gorgeous piece of paper and get the urge to lick it?). I think they spray those shops with some kind of “buy gas” because by the time I walked out I had bought a whole bunch of stuff for us to use in the workshops, non of which I was aware of until I checked my credit card statement – lovely new nestabilities, Martha Stewart border punches, stamps, corner chompers etc. It’s really quite frightening. What if I’d been in a jewelry shop? I spent the whole of Monday flat on my back recovering from Post Purchasing Remorse. Still, I’m dying to use it all. I also stocked up on Tombo glue, double sided tape; click ‘n stick, sanding blocks, edge scrappers etc. Next week’s page is “Family Life” – I just LOVE the paper {Stella Rose}. You need: 1 jumbo landscape 3 x (2 up) landscape (2 pics printed onto one jumbo) 2 x (4 up) portrait (4 pics printed onto one jumbo) Just to clear something up – when I say 3 x (2up) I mean 3 actual pictures, not 3 x 2 pictures printed onto one jumbo making 6 photo’s in all if you know what I mean. As the title suggests, you need to bring pics depicting family life - could be just about any scenario. Sorry I don’t have pics on mine yet …..running around like a shot cat….chasing my tale…..stress, stress, stress…. I’m going to be designing a whole range of heritage pages using the Tim Holtz’s (my new love) idea-ology paper which is going to require a lot of facts and figures. Please do start looking though your old photos of mom, dad, grandparents etc – they are going to be very meaningful pages. Next week’s evening class will be on Thursday 14th at 18h00 – do join us for a fun filled scrapping evening. Now, as you know I am the proud owner of both the Cricut and Silhouette digital craft cutters – both of which have sat her gathering a nice bit of mould and dust over the years (the Silhouette is still to be plugged in). Truth be told, they kind of scare me but I’ve decided that this month I’m going to sit down and master them both. This hopefully will open up a whole world of new fonts and designs to incorporate on our layouts. Watch this space. Early warning: The SA International Scrapbook Convention at Emperor’s Palace will be on the 10 & 11th September @ R2795.00 per delegate. Don’t know who the teachers will be at this stage but will keep you informed. Start saving now if you’re keen to go. That’s about my bundle for this week. Have a happy scrapping week. I’ll end with a few of those quotes that I so love………. When I look at my children, I say to myself, 'Lillian, you should have remained a virgin.' -Lillian Carter (mother of Jimmy Carter) I had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: 'No good in a bed, but fine against a wall.' - Eleanor Roosevelt Last week, I stated this woman was the ugliest woman I had ever seen. I have since been visited by her sister, and now wish to withdraw that statement. - Mark Twain The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending; and to have the two as close together as possible - George Burns Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people only once a year. - Victor Borge Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint. - Mark Twain By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. - Socrates I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury. - Groucho Marx My wife has a slight impediment in her speech. Every now and then she stops to breathe. - Jimmy Durante I have never hated a man enough to give his diamonds back. - Zsa Zsa Gabor Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. - Alex Levine My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying. - Rodney Dangerfield Money can't buy you happiness. But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery. - Spike Milligan I don't feel old. I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time for my nap. - Bob Hope I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it. - W. C. Fields We could certainly slow the aging process down if it had to work its way through Congress. - Will Rogers Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you. - Winston Churchill Maybe it's true that life begins at fifty. But everything else starts to wear out, fall out or spread out. - Phyllis Diller By the time a man is wise enough to watch his step, he's too old to go anywhere. - Billy Crystal And the cardiologist's diet: If it tastes good spit it out. May your troubles be less, may your blessings be more and may nothing but happiness come through your door. Cheers! Alison.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray! glad to see a new post & to be on your email list. Lekker to see you at the Convention, ditto on the "buy gas" and hope to see you again in September. Still interested in Kits / notes, BTW. let me know if you are ready for the extra hassle

    ReplyDelete